gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Size in fileproperties

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Size in fileproperties
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 04:25:14 +0100

Michael wrote:
Magnus:

What about showing image-pixel-size in the file prop dialog?
It's not included in the various filetypes in some generic way, instead has to be calculated right ? I can see mcview is doing it nicely but still needs some seconds to calculate a 15000x12000px JPG (60M.) Nautilus does it in the 'image' tab of properties dialog.
What backends are possible ?

identify does it in 1 second on a 6793x5000 image (97Mb pnm).
(pnm is a very basic image format)

But i bet it can be dome much, much faster depending on
image type, since the size can be in metadata. Ohh, yes.
The same image as above but in jpeg format:

time identify hugeimage.jpg
real    0m0.083s
user    0m0.064s
sys     0m0.009s

But i guess it can be even faster than that using the
right libs. And my suggestion is for the preperties
dialog - a single file, not file lists.