gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] my wee idea: Directory sizes (space used within)

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] my wee idea: Directory sizes (space used within)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 19:33:38 +0100

Hi Pete,

> Back when I was using Amiga, we had Magellan as our file-manager. Within
> this, there was a setting, and it allowed you to see the directory sizes.
> This is the space used within the directories, as in, the size used with
> all the files sizes inside that director added together.

Not sure if I grok you properly... gcmd already has support for
calculation of dir sizes - just use SPACE over the given dir or simply:
ALT+SHIFT+ENTER to get sizes of all subdirs.

> This would be in
> real-time of course, any changes detected elsewhere, it would be simply
> updated..

Real time updating of dir sizes is beyond of the gcmd reach, I'm
afraid... gcmd uses FAM for monitoring dir changes, and FAM notifies
about the changes only for previously requested dirs. It's virtually
impossible to subscribe to every single dir in the whole fs.

> You could also obviously sort them by sizes.

Size sorting for dirs is broken, I'll try to fix it

Piotr