gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Any snap meisters on the list?

From: kht-lists
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Any snap meisters on the list?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:06:31 +0000

Hello,

I have found that gnome-commander will not build on Ubuntu 20.04 nor on CentOS
8. Yesterday, while testing a new external hard drive on an Ubuntu 20.04
machine I happened to run df -h. I found a BUNCH of /dev/loop file systems.
They were related to snap. This got me looking into the snap "thing." In theory
snap will create and mount a virtual file system with the program of interest
along with all of its dependencies. This sounded like a path forward for
gnome-commander. If I could build the snap on Ubuntu 18.04 - where the program
will build, install and run - I could run the snap on a newer version of the
OS. I found this excellent reference
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-your-first-snap#1-overview

I followed the instructions and created my snapcraft.yaml (configuration) file
thus:

name: gnome-commander-snap
base: core18
version: 1-10-3
summary: gnome-commander in a snap
grade: devel # must be 'stable' to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: devmode # use 'strict' once you have the right plugs and slots
parts:
gnome-commander:
source:
https://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-commander/1.10/gnome-commander-1.10.3.tar.xz
plugin: autotools

When I attempted to run the snap making process I received this error:

Failed to run './configure --prefix=' for 'gnome-commander': Exited with code 1.
Verify that the part is using the correct parameters and try again.
Run the same command again with --debug to shell into the environment if you
wish to introspect this failure.

I then ran snapcraft --debug which told me:

checking for itstool... no
configure: error: itstool not found

However:

ken@t15:~/Desktop/mysnaps/gnome-commander$ sudo apt-get install itstool
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
itstool is already the newest version (2.0.2-3.1).

I am currently stuck. I can run ./configure and everything seems to check out
OK. I have not yet run make but I suspect that it will be OK as I have done so
before on Ubuntu 18.04.

Has anyone built a gnome-commander snap? I am looking for advice.

Thanks,

Ken Taylor
Clayton, North Carolina USA

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)