gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Home made .deb of 1.10.3 on Ubuntu 20.04

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Home made .deb of 1.10.3 on Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 01:33:36 +0000

Thanks Uwe,

I will digest all this mess I have written and create a simple howto. It is
actually quite simple now that I have figured out the steps. I do need to
experiment a little with having the old repos connected. I agree with tromoto.
It is probably best to comment out the entries for the 18.04 repos unless
something comes up and needs them enabled. Building a new verson of gnome
commander perhaps.  At the moment I am working through some bizarre hardware
issues.

A year or so back the built in sound card in my Dell Precision workstation
died.  It was out of warranty but I had purchased it with a Visa credit card.
The Visa extended warranty paid me for a replacement system board. Since
everything else worked fine I did not really want a refurb system board so I
purchased a USB sound dongle for about $15 US and spent the other money on
something else. The USB gizmo worked great except that sometimes when I enabled
it on a virtual machine (Vmware) and then returned it to the host - the host
had no sound and I had to reboot. That is a bit of an engineering task as I
have to suspend 2 or 3 virtual machines and then at boot enter the pass phrase
for the main partition then after logon unlock and mount another encrypted
partition and finally unlock a Veracrypt container of archive data.  I try to
keep reboots to once a month - when I perform a cold backup of the OS. So...

I purchased an actual PCIe sound card on evilbay for $12 US. When I was
installing it I discovered another hardware anomaly. When I first purchased the
computer 3+ years ago I found that my Brother MFC 240c multi-function box would
print from the workstation but it was not detected by the xsane scanning
program. In fact it would not detect on any computer with a USB 3.0 controller
- even if hooked to a USB 2.0 port (except for my Dell T130 server.) I worked
with a fellow in New Zealand via linuxquestions.org for about 3 weeks and
finally came to the conclusion that it was a hardware incompatibility. My
workaround was to install a "high speed!" USB 2.0 controller ($4.75 US on
evilbay of course :-) and use that for the MFC. Scanned like a dream. Well...

When I had the computer on its side to install the sound card I observed that
there were no cables connected to the USB 2.0 card. I must have plugged all USB
cables into the built in USB 3.0 ports when I had the system torn down so I
could blow the dust out of the heat sinks. This was some months ago and I have
been scanning just fine.  Somehow the system now detects the MFC scanner on USB
3.0.  I pulled the USB 2.0 card as it was no longer needed.

Now I have sound which the host and a VM can share without switching back and
forth which is great.  However, when I did the speaker test to check the
functioning I found that the Front Right speaker test sound comes out the left
speaker and vice versa. I don't think this matters as the speakers are only a
sound bar under the monitor.

I will get on the howto for Gnome Commander ASAP.  I may try building it on
CentOS as well. However, as Red Hat has dropped a bomb on CentOS, I am not sure
I will be using it for the long term. Certainly not after version 7 which dies
in 2024.

Ken

I don't have a Swiss bank account but I do have a Swiss email address :-)

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.