gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Search to be removed from Gnome Commander(?)

From: mi
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Search to be removed from Gnome Commander(?)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:09:35 +0100

Uwe,

> I could close all open issues which are waiting for the 1.14.0 release.

Amazing .... Congrats ! And thank you so much !

> All but one. ;-)

aaargh

I think that with the given conditions, your suggestion of 'outsourcing' F9
search makes sense. It also fits into the good old philosophy of a chain of
specialized tools.

> There are some graphical alternatives for file searching, like for
> example catfish or recoll.

I did not try these but on first glance, recoll is based on QT libraries and
xapian, which is a heavy weight, whereas catfish is rather light, depending
only on a few libgir and python. I'd think that the latter fits better to gcmd.

The drawback would probably be 'integration'. Would it still be possible to
have gcmd 'work' on the list of results (files) ? Or maybe catfish has some
basic capabilities too.

I never really used F9 because i'm usually kicking off a terminal for more
complex file operations. But with F9, we can apparently use copy or move, and
it would probably possible to make the advrename tool work on the results too.

The question is, what is it that the average user wants to achieve. And i
believe the standard aim is, she just wants to find a lost file to look into it
or move it to a better location. Or delete it.

And most modern desktops anyway try their best to make it superfluous to create
folders and sort anything at all (resulting in a horrible mess on disk) so
modern users won't use F9 for cleaning up anyway.

That's why i think the most lightweight capabilities would be sufficient.

But we could also decide to be different and offer more capabilities just
because it's a Commander - and not Apples 'Finder'.