gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:58:27 -0500

    > If people are proposing that we should change the way this
    > part of the GNU system is maintained, the first question is,
    > is there really a problem?

    I think there is.  At least seven of the twelve blanket write
    maintainers are on record as thinking that there is.  3 or 4
    non-blanket-write maintainers with whom I've conversed about
    it think there is.

People can feel bad for various reasons--that does not necessarily
mean there is a problem of significant dimensions.  So I would like to
get an objective view of the effects of the possible problem.

    > What useful features or improvements
    > does the GNU system lack, which it could have had if
    > GDB maintenance were done differently?  How important are these
    > features?

    I should think that gdb development in general benefits
    the GNU system.

This generality is undeniable, but gives no specific information with
which to judge objectively the extent of this reported problem.