gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Trust

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Trust
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:15:50 -0800

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

You speculated that trust may be lacking due to internal Red Hat
politics and/or interactions between engineers and management at Red
Hat.  I would instead speculate that trust may be lacking because
people seem to be, to a small degree, scoring points on one another,
which then raises the possibility that their technical decisions are
being distorted.  I stress that I'm not saying that anybody's
technical decisions are in fact being distorted.  What I am saying is
that some people may be thinking that that is happening.

But why would anybody want to be scoring points in the first place?
Somehow the idea of winning and losing has contaminated what would
normally be a cooperative effort.

However, this is not the basic disagreement I have with your note.  I
don't think the lack of trust (if indeed it exists) is the deepest
underlying problem.  I think it is a consequence, not a root cause.

I think the root cause is that gdb has a leadership vacuum.

From what I can tell, we have a number of warm bodies wanting to
exercise some leadership, but their attempts to do so turn into
fights. What would be the underlying attitude that would cause
that? Why wouldn't Andrew welcome Jim or Michael's ideas, or vice
versa?

I'm going to post a separate analysis of the current maintenance
structure; your insight is most cogent. I think it's also the case
that we've set Andrew up to not be successful in the way he would
like, and we ought to fix it for his sake.

However, I do not personally find it to be an encouraging sign that
both Jim and Andrew are on the steering committee.  That raises the
possibility that the same difficulties which beset the global
maintainers will simply graduate into the steering committee.  In
fact, we see this happening as Jim is trying to get the same proposal
which he made for the gdb maintainers in place on the steering
committee--i.e., voting.  I fear that Andrew's natural move will be to
refuse to assent to the voting scheme, and to effectively insist on
consensus.  The result is deadlock.  Eventually Andrew requests
reassignment to a different project, and gdb loses his very effective
services as architect.

It would indeed be unfortunate; hopefully Andrew's commitment to
GDB is strong enough to want to come up with creative solutions
for the deadlock.

I don't think that we, the free software community, or RMS, the person
who picks the gdb steering committee, are making the best possible
choices here.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's never too late to make suggestions!

Stan