gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Let's resolve this quickly

From: Elena Zannoni
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Let's resolve this quickly
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:58:59 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 > Elena Zannoni <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > What is the frequency of patch reversion in GCC?
 >
 > It's not frequent.  Less than once a month, I would say.
 >
 > The usual pattern is "this patch broke X; fix it or I'll revert it"
 > followed by either "no, no, I'll fix it!" or "you're right, that patch
 > was broken, please do revert it."
 >
 > Ian

Ok. How often does this occur, i.e. how often does a problematic patch
get checked in?

I remember Zack Weinberg stating that gcc doesn't build about 30% of
the times, based on doing a checkout on any random day.

I can vouch that this doesn't currently happen for gdb. I routinely do
imports of FSF gdb into the Red Hat rpm and build it on 7 different
architectures. It always built (at least it has in the past 1.5 year I
have done so).