gdb

[Gdb] problem seeing executable file

From: Jon Hatchett
Subject: [Gdb] problem seeing executable file
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:00:34 +0900

Dear all,

I am afraid I have a very simple problem but I am not very good with
Linux. I want to use gdb (here on a test program a.out), but it seems
that gdb cannot see the file even though from the directory it runs
fine.

bash-2.05b$ a.out
hello world
bash-2.05b$ gdb a.out
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.0post-0.20040223.17rh)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as
"i386-redhat-linux-gnu"..."/home/jonh/dynamicrewire/numerics/a.out": not
in executable format: File format not recognized

If I type path I get

Executable and object file path:
.:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

so the present directory does seem to be in the path.

Sorry for such a stupid question, any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Jon Hatchett