geiser-users

[Geiser-users] [bug #32681] Geiser does not load the .guile file when in

From: Jon Snader
Subject: [Geiser-users] [bug #32681] Geiser does not load the .guile file when invoking guile
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:41:21 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, bug #32681 (project geiser):

I pretty much understand what's going on now.

First, the problem isn't with Geiser other than that it treats `-l .guile' as
a synonym for the automatic loading of .guile.  I get the exact same behavior
if I call guile directly from the command line as `guile -q -l
/Users/jcs/.quile'.

The problem is that I treat my .guile file much as I do my init.el file for
Emacs and depend upon being able to load Scheme files and have them
immediately available for use in the rest of the .guile file.  If I comment
out the use of the loaded files, then I can load my .guile with -l and all the
loaded files will be available for use at the REPL.

Guile does treat the two methods of loading .guile differently.  The automatic
load of .quile uses scm-primitive-load, which makes everything immediately
available.  The file loaded with -l gets consed up with sym_load and is
obviously handled differently but I don't understand guile internals enough to
understand exactly what's going on.

The take away is that `-l .guile' is not the same as the automatic load of
.guile and for that reason I still believe that it's worthwhile to have a
configuration option such as that that I submitted originally.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?32681>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/