geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] ELPA-ized geiser

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] ELPA-ized geiser
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:17:43 -0400

I forgot to mention that I changed `geiser-{elisp,scheme}-dir' to
`load-file-name'. With fixed install paths, there's no need to do
anything smart regarding directory paths.

Another note: consider replacing the `autoload' calls in "geiser.el"
with autoload cookies. "package.el" extracts the magic cookies and
executes the generated `autoload' calls during `package-activate'.

By setting autoload cookies for the `add-hook' and `add-to-list' calls,
users will be geiser-enabled without having to add a single line to
their "init.el".

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You could consider uploading it to Marmalade (http://marmalade-repo.org)
>> or MELPA (http://melpa.milkbox.net). I don't think MELPA supports
>> running `make' as a build step (which could complicate texinfo
>> generation), but I haven't really looked at it.
>
> I'll take a look. Geiser can be used without calling make, by directly
> to add the .info somewhere

It looks like a fully-automated MELPA solution won't be available
because of texinfo generation. MELPA is essentially a set of scripts which
pull elisp source from source repositories, generates package files, and
then uploads them to a site for use as an element in `package-archives'.
The key is that it doesn't run any hooks or anything during package
generation (it would be a security catastrophe), so "install-info"
wouldn't have a chance to run. It would be silly to check "geiser.info"
into the repository since it is a generated file.

--
Daniel Hackney