geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Geiser blocks on alien output

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Geiser blocks on alien output
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 01:20:49 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15 2013, address@hidden wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> First of all I am a bit of a newbie with emacs, geiser, guile and a
> little bit less with scheme.  That said, the problem is the following.
> I have a guile program which starts several interactive processes
> (shell, some other programs) via 'open-pipe' interface. All of those
> processes share the same stdout with the main program, so it happens
> that the stdout is fed not only by scheme interpreter output, but also
> output from those other processes. When this happens, guile/geiser
> interpreter in emacs 23 just blocks.
>
> Is it because geiser has problem figuring out what junk is being sent
> to it, or am i doing something bad?

Yes, the problem is probably that when you run guile from within emacs,
the communication between them is through guile's stdin, and that might
be interfering.

You can try to start guile outside emacs, with the --listen option, and
then use M-x geiser-connect to start the REPL (this is explained at the
end of http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/geiser_3.html#Starting-the-REPL).
In that way, the communication between guile and geiser will be via a
socket, which should solve the problems, i think.

HTH,
jao
--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all