geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Help associating source and REPL - "No prompt found!"

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Help associating source and REPL - "No prompt found!"
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 01:09:22 +0100

On Thu, Nov 14 2013, Jon Miller wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> Jon, i think the problem is probably with the installation using the
>> el-get recipe.  If all it does is making a checkout of the git repo in
>> <path-to-geiser>, you need to add the following code to your .emacs (or
>> similar):
>>
>>   (load-file "<path-to-geiser>/elisp/geiser.el")
>>
>> and you do *not* have to (require 'geiser) anywhere in your config.
>>
>> The problems you're seeing with the prompt regexp not being set are due
>> just to the appropriate geiser elisp files not being loaded.
> I don't *think* el-get installed it incorrectly. I don't have to use
> any load-file command to get geiser loaded.

What i'm trying to say is that geiser *requires* you to load it in the
way i'm describing.  If you load it in any other way, it won't work,
even if it superficially looks as if it's "loaded".

> The regexp variable *was* set, but I found that I needed to alter it
> to work with the prompt that racket was providing. Perhaps I'm running
> a newer version of DrRacket than you've seen yet?

When Geiser starts the Racket process, it makes some calls that modify
the prompt of the interpreter to match the original regexp, using racket
libraries present in Geiser's source tree.  The fact that the prompt you
see is not as the regexp expects means that the Racket process is not
being initialized properly.  One thing that the "load-file" command does
is setting Racket's load path so that the geiser racket libraries are
found and (among many other things) the interpreter prompt set
appropiatedly.

HTH,
jao
--
Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties,
nations, and epochs, it is the rule.