geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] eval commands always split debug window?

From: Scott Messick
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] eval commands always split debug window?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:42:56 -0500

> >  For commands with no output, they display a result in the minibuffer.
> > For commands with output, whether or not there is an error, they split a
> > debug window and display their results and output there.  Is this
> > behavior intended?
>
> yes.  the debug window is the recipient of output.  due to
> implementation reasons (the communications between the repl process and
> emacs use the process's sttandard input/output), the output of an
> evaluation cannot be shown in the repl buffer.
>
> > Regardless, I'd like to change it so that these commands just send their
> > contents to the REPL.
>
> sorry, but i'm afraid this is not currently possible (see above).

Okay, good to know.

> i'm not sure i understand correctly, but are your commands writing their
> results to stdout and that's why you need syntax highlighting? when you
> simply evalutate a scheme value, without writing to stdout (which is the
> regular operation for me), the evaluated value appears in the
> mini-buffer with syntax highlighting, and also in the debug window with
> syntax highlighting (but the window is not shown most of the time).
>
> in my case, it's very rare that my evaluations write to stdout (i.e., i
> almost never evaluate things like (display foo) or (write bar)), but
> certainly YMMV.

Yes, I do have some things writing to stdout, mainly for
debug/development purposes.  However, the bigger issue when I evaluate
something that causes errors.  The lack of syntax highlighting makes the
trace much harder to read., and because it's long I'd prefer not to have
it in a half window.

I have not really established my workflow here, so I think all of this
is fine and I can figure out what I really want.  On reflection, a lot
of the trouble comes because in what I'm working on now, I occasionally
have top-level definitions of data (like a list or hash-table, not a
function).  So code mistakes would be likely to produce errors
immediately when these are evaluated, whereas functions would be defined
okay (with C-c C-c) and then signal errors when I test their use (in the
actual REPL buffer).  Probably I can fix this by adjusting my coding
and/or debug style a little bit.

Thanks for your help!

Scott