Re: [Getfem-users] boundary conditions on nodes

From: julien pommier
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] boundary conditions on nodes
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:38:05 +0100

Hello Julien,

You have to use the generic "constraints" brick for that purpose. Here is an example of use (supposing b3 is a previous brick):

b4 = MdBrick('constraint',b3, 'penalized');
H=Spmat('empty',1,mfu.get('nbdof'));
H[0, 143] = 1
R = [41.42];
b4.set_constraints(H,R);

Here we impose the constraint H*u = R , where H is a row matrix (only one constraint), and R is a vector with only one element. Here, the dof number 143 is forced to be equal to 41.42

However there was a bug in the python interface which prevented the use of this function (it only accepted matlab sparse matrices). This is fixed now:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/getfem/trunk/getfem_matlab/src/gf_mdbrick_set.cc?r2=2505&rev=2505&r1=2426&dir_pagestart=50

Best Regards,
Julien

Julien Sylvestre wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to impose a fixed value to the z-component of displacement in a linear elastic problem, on a specific node, leaving the x- and y-components untouched. The only thing I'm currently able to do is something like

mfu = getfem.MeshFem(mesh, 3)
lower_boundary = 1+len(mesh.regions())
mesh.set_region(lower_boundary, fbot) # fbot is a list of element ids

b3 = getfem.MdBrick('dirichlet', b2, lower_boundary, mfu, 'penalized')

This doesn't do what I want:
1. I need to set the boundary condition only on one component of the displacement field (i.e., z, and not x or y) 2. I need to set the boundary condition only on one node; I couldn't find a way to create a region on a single node. Best I can do is to create a region on one element. 3. I want a fixed value for the specified component of the displacement field which is not zero, but rather some other arbitrary (fixed) number.

I was unable to get the information in a format I could understand from the documentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
JS