Re: [Getfem-users] Computation of forces for prescribed displacements

From: Igor Peterlik
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Computation of forces for prescribed displacements
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:00:32 +0100

Hello,

the problem is that I still cannot figure out how the equivalent forces should
be computed if there is a Dirichlet condition imposed on some region.

In my task, a displacement for the top face of a cylinder is prescribed and
I want to compute the deformation of the cylinder and the reacting force
F=(fx,fy,fz);

Therefore, besides mf_u object for displacements of nodes, I have another mesh_fem object mf_mult for Lagrange multipliers initialized with the mesh of the cylinder
(together with the correct  dimension and type of the FEM). Then I apply the
Dirichlet
conditions using mf_mult:

         getfem::mesh_fem mf_mult(cylinder_mesh);

         getfem::mdbrick_Dirichlet<> final_model(volum_src_term,
DIRICHLET_BNDRY_ID, mf_mult);

Then I set the boundary conditions and compute the deformation using the standard_solve arriving to the solution stored in vector U which contains the displacement for each degree of freedom and the Lagrange multipliers for DOFs with prescribed displacements.
 And now I arrive to problem, as I do not know how
to combine the coefficients of Lagrange multipliers stored in the solution
vector U
and the shape functions of mf_mult to get the reacting force  F (which is -- I
suppose -- the integral
of force density over the top face of the cylinder for each direction x,y,z
separately where
the density is computed using the shape function over the boundary elements multiplied by the Lagrange multipliers...)
I was trying to understand and employ the generic assembling procedures via
getfem::generic_assembly
but the examples given in documentation were not enough for me to adapt them
for my task.
Also in the examples included in getfem, the mf_mult object is defined several
times, but it is never
used for some further computations.

Thank you in advance.

                                                        Igor

Hello,

I have a question about the boundary conditions.
I am using your test demo nonlinear_elastostatic.cc . Let's suppose
I neither consider the gravitation forces nor the torsion, but
I just prescribe some extension (ie. I displace the top face of the bar
using the Dirichlet boundary conditions).
What I want is to compute the deformation of the bar (that is OK)
but moreover, I want to calculate the force vector which is acting
in the top face which is displaced. I use the AUGMENTED_CONSTRAINTS
for the Dirichlet condition and so
for each prescribed displacement in the nodes of the top face I get
a coefficient in the solution vector. How can I use them in GetFem
to compute the overall force vector (f_x, f_y, f_z)?

I tried simpler version of the deformation -- I just prescribed the
displacement one node of the mesh (in x,y,z). Then (using again the
AUGMENTED_CONSTRAINTS) I got three numbers in the tail of the solution
vector and I considered them being the forces f_x, f_y and f_z acting in
that displaced point of the mesh. Is this correct?

Yes, the component of the multiplier corresponding to a certain node
represents a so called "equivalent force" at this node. If you need the force
density, you have to use the shape functions of the multiplier fem used.

Yves.

--

 Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
 Pole de Mathematiques,                       fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------