Re: [Getfem-users] solvers won't solve

From: Ronan Perrussel
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] solvers won't solve
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:38:21 +0200

Dear Michael,

if you use the "stable" version of the web site, I am quite sure it will not work with numpy (this version seems to be anterior to all the modifications made by Luis). You should use the latest svn version (some information here: https://gna.org/svn/?group=getfem).

Best regards,
Ronan

address@hidden a écrit :
Dear Luis,
I have removed getfem from my system and tried to install the latest
version. I am having the same problem I had back in March, namely that the
gmake goes looking for numarray and calls an error because I have numpy,
which it doesn't find. The first time I installed it Yves Renard emailed
me an archive which was what I built the installation from. So that is the
reason that my installation was not the stable release.

So, what do I need to do to make the latest stable release install and
work properly with numpy, rather than numarray?

Regards

Michael

Michael,

the 2931 release is not the stable release, and its python
interface contains a bug (fixed in current release).
Could you use the latest version and try again?

regards,
Luis

address@hidden escribió:
Thanks Luis,
According to the getfem.py file it is  __version__ = "$Revision: 2931
$".
I'm pretty sure its version 3.1, the latest stable release when I
downloaded it in early March of this year.
Below is the relevant part of the code. I have left out the construction
of the mesh m, which is working properly.
thanks
Michael

fem = MeshFem(m,1)
fem.set_fem(Fem('FEM_PK(2,1)'))

##################
#
print "integration method"
#
##################
mim = MeshIm(m)
mim.set_integ(Integ('IM_TRIANGLE(1)'))

##################
#
print "bricks"
#
##################
#B = MdBrick('bilaplacian',mim,fem)
B = MdBrick('generic_elliptic',mim,fem)

m.set_region(41,m.faces_from_cvid(face_trans[50]))
m.set_region(42,m.faces_from_cvid(face_trans[51]))

C = MdBrick('dirichlet',B,41,fem,'penalized')
C.set_param('R',array([0.]) )

D = MdBrick('dirichlet',C,42,fem,'penalized')
D.set_param('R',array([0.]) )

mds = MdState('real')
D.solve(mds)
state = mds.state()

Hello Michael,

Could you show me the code of your python-script and your version of
getfem?

regards,
Luis.

address@hidden escribió:

Hello again,
I've been poking around the workings of the python interface and found
that the solvers that getfem couldn't find aren't supported by getfem,
which is fine but those it can find
a) just won't solve a simple diffusion equation
b) but solve it without difficulty on a colleague's computer. The main
differences between his system and mine are 1) numarray on his and
numpy
on mine (yes I did make the necessary changes to the import statement)
and
2) ubuntu on his and fedora on mine.

I have yet to verify if the solvers work outside of getfem, but in the
meantime, does anyone have any ideas about what may cause a solver to
fail?

superlu - fails to solve and program crashes with error 'SuperLU
failed
solve info=9
cg/ildlt - doesn't crash but doesn't solve either
gmres/ilu[t[p]] - program hangs

Michael Walker

Plant Modelling Group
CIRAD, Montpellier