Re: [Getfem-users] 2d plane strain/stress analysis

From: Renard Yves
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] 2d plane strain/stress analysis
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:14:40 +0100

Dear Umut,

The problem you have seems to come from the fact that you use a vectorial fem to describes the Lame coefficients lambda and mu. You have to declare a scalar mesh_fem to describe them.

Concerning your second question, the assembly of the 2d elasticity problem uses Lame coefficients. So you have to set the right Lame coefficients depending if you consider a plane stress model or a plane strain model from the Young modulus and the Poisson ratio.

Yves.

Umut Tabak <address@hidden> a écrit :

Dear all,

I was wondering when using the asm_stiffness_matrix_for_linear_elasticity function for a 2d problem(on a mesh that is imported from gmsh), I would like to define a 2d vectorial problem(a plane strain or stress one actually). So I set the dimension to 2 since this is a 2s mesh. But when using this method in the format given in the format of the manual

invalid data mesh fem (Qdim=1 required)

It has been sometime I have not been using the library, this can be a simple mistake. The second question is that the thickness of the domain in say z direction, is that taken as unit when computing the stiffness matrices? And if I would like to define a different thickness, should I use generic assembly procedure for the beam bending problems. I guess there I can supply this as a parameter to the integration process.

Simple code is attached.

Best regards,
Umut