[Getfem-users] Linking Problems in Mac OS X 10.6.7

From: Drew Zemke
Subject: [Getfem-users] Linking Problems in Mac OS X 10.6.7
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:03:16 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to install Getfem 4.0.0 on a machine running Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard), with the intent of using it with Matlab 2009b.  Per the online documentation, I give the following call to configure:

$ ./configure --enable-matlab CXXFLAGS="-arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.6" CFLAGS="-arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.6" --with-matlab-toolbox-dir=/Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/toolbox/  MEX=/Applications/MATLAB_R2009b.app/bin/

This runs without issues.  I then attempt to run make.  The compilation step runs without error, but when it gets the link step, the linker prints about a hundred or so messages of the following form, and then quits.

ranlib: archive member: .libs/libgetfem.a(libsuperlu_la-<OBJ-FILE>) cputype (16777223) does not match previous archive members cputype (7) (all members must match)

where <OBJ-FILE> is the name of some compiled object file created in the directory 'getfem-4.0.0/superlu' by the compiler.  (In fact, this error is printed for all object files in that directory.)

From doing some online searching, I have determined that this basically means that the SuperLU library files have been compiled in 64 bit mode, while whatever they are trying to link against (not sure exactly what) was compiled in 32 bit mode.  However, I cannot seem to find a way to compile the SuperLU parts in 32 bit mode (or to compile the linked-against files in 64 bit somehow).

I would appreciate the help of anyone who can help to clarify this issue.  Please forgive me if the solution is obvious, as I am relatively new to a lot of this.

Thank you for your time!

Drew Zemke