Re: [Getfem-users] Reduction problems

From: Torquil Macdonald Sørensen
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Reduction problems
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 19:58:09 +0200

Hi Yves!

Unfortunately, I'm still having a problem with this. Perhaps it is because I'm unsure how to define the extension matrix, which is ambiguous when the number of degrees of freedom is reduced.

I have now defined a reduced basis that preserves the partition of unity property, and which is also able to exactly represent any affine function.

I started with Q_2 on the square, and defined a reduced basis by using the two linear combinations

\hat{phi}_{21} + 0.5\hat{phi}_{22}
0.5\hat{phi}_{22} + \hat{phi}_{23}

instead of the three \hat{phi}_{21}, \hat{phi}_{22}, \hat{phi}_{23}. Of course, the other 6 basis functions with first index i != 2 are included in the reduced basis. So I have reduced from 9 basis functions to 8, within each square.

I'm using the notation of the the section "Classical Lagrange elements on other geometries" on the page

http://download.gna.org/getfem/html/homepage/userdoc/appendixA.html

Thus the reduction matrix R is defined, and I then choose an extension matrix E so that R*E=Id.

However, as before the solution vanishes everywhere except on the boundary, where it is of course fixed by the Dirichlet condition.

Perhaps there are some further important requirements on the definition of E other than just R*E=Id, that I am currently violating, which is not mentioned in the documentation? I have noticed in a different program that the calculation result is strongly dependent on E, even though R*E=Id in both all cases.

Are there any working examples available of the use of reduction with getfem that I could study?

Thanks!
Torquil