Re: [Getfem-users] demo_crack.py Dirichlet condition

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] demo_crack.py Dirichlet condition
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:28:26 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Aaron Oaks,

In that example, the Dirichlet data is defined on mf_ue which is in fact not a
finite element space, it is defined to span a certain number of global
functions. So that the Dirichlet Data is a particular linear combination of
these global functions.

Of course, it is not possible to prescribe it exactly on the unknow which is
define on an enriched finite element space. So, here, the Dirichlet condition
is prescribed with a penalization technique. This means that a term
\int_{\Gamma} (u - Dirichlet_data) * gamma * Test_u
is added to the formulation, with gamma a penalization parameter (1e12 here).

Another possibility would be to prescribe the Dirichlet condition with a
Lagrange multiplier or with Nitsche's method.

Best regards,

Yves.