gforth

Re: GNU/GForth.org-hosted F-Droid repository for freedom-reviewed Androi

From: J. R. Haigh
Subject: Re: GNU/GForth.org-hosted F-Droid repository for freedom-reviewed Android applications written in GForth?
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 14:57:16 +0100

Hi Ethan, all,

At 2020-08-04Tue14:18:34+01, Ethan Gardener sent:
> […]
> I don't really like to bother with 3rd-party app stores. I'm not good at
> finding out about what the app store managers are like or who [re]publishes
> apps on them, so they make me nervous. I'd prefer to download the apk
> directly from gforth.org.

Me too, though I also don't like downloading APKs from lots of different
sources. I stopped using Google Play a few years ago and since then have only
installed from https://F-Droid.org . As Bernd indicated that it would be
difficult to get applications written in GForth included in the main F-Droid
repository, I suggest that the GForth project hosts their own
F-Droid-compatible repository for freedom-reviewed Android applications written
in GForth.
        Btw., in my previous emails, I was assuming that GForth is a GNU
project, but I'm not sure. Who controls https://GForth.org ? Either way, it'd
be a lot safer installing from fewer sources, and GForth seems to me to be as
trustworthy as GNU, so I'd be happy with either GForth.org-hosted or GNU-hosted
if those 2 possibilities are not the same thing.

Best regards,
James.
--
Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness.
https://wiki.FSFE.org/Fellows/JRHaigh