gforth

[gforth] use pfa as xt?

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: [gforth] use pfa as xt?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:35:06 +0100

In the development version we have redesigned the header so that for
most words nt=xt (i.e., NAME>INTERPRET does nothing for these words).

We are now considering whether to use the PFA (body address) rather
than the CFA as xt/nt.  Now would be a good time for such a change,
because the new header has already caused code that relies on a
specific header layout to break.

Advantage: >BODY and BODY> become noops, and you do not need to use
them.

Disadvantages:

1) Because >BODY and BODY> become noops, and you don't notice it if
you forget to use them, portability to other Forth systems (where
>BODY currently is usually not a noop) suffers.

2) If you are using @ rather than >CODE-ADDRESS ( xt -- addr ) to get
at the code address, your code would break from such a change.

Anything else?

Do you have code that would break from such a change?

- anton