gforth

Re: How close is the current gforth multi-tasking to proposed standard(s

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: How close is the current gforth multi-tasking to proposed standard(s) for multi-tasking?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:15:41 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 12:27:23AM +0000, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky via Gforth
discussion and announcements wrote:
> I'm not on the forth-standard mailing list so I can't ask there. I'm planning
> to implement some applications using the "traditional, cooperative
> round-robin multitasker" in gforth. How close is this to any proposed
> standard for a cooperative round-robin multitasker?

There is currently no active proposal (Andrew Haley who used to work
on a proposal has left the committee).  At the last meeting we
discussed the issue, and wanted to make a workshop on that, but I
don't find that workshop in my notes, so we probably ran out of time
before we got around to it.

In any case, both of Gforth's multi-taskers are relatively close to
the classic Forth multi-tasker, and if we ever manage to standardize
multi-tasking, it will be a variation of the same theme (the proposal
by Andrew Haley was also in that spirit).

My recommendation would be to go for the pthreads multitasker from the
current snapshot unless there is a reason to use the cooperative
multitasker.  The pthreads one is better documented and is actively
used by Bernd Paysan.

- anton