Re: [Ghm-discuss] GNU Hackers Meeting - offer to host next meeting in Go

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GNU Hackers Meeting - offer to host next meeting in Gothenburg, Sweden
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:33:43 +0100

Input on dates needed, see below.

Brian Gough wrote:
> At Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:44:06 +0100,
> Henrik Sandklef wrote:
>> I think most of the organisation of the GHM can be done at the same time
>> as FSCONS planning so I am not worried about the planning of venue, food
>> and stuff.
>>
>> But when it comes to planning invitations, possible reimbursements for
>> travels etc for the guests of ghm, and all that we all need to start
>> asap. I agree to that. Perhaps start by defining what we expect from the
>> meeting ...
>
> I see the main goal of the GHM as community-building among GNU
> maintainers/contributors. I'd like to have people talking to each
> other as much as possible and keeping in communication after the
> event.  It's good to have talks, but not just talks. (Implicitly, it's
> about shifting our thinking towards the GNU system from individual
> packages.)

OK :)

> I think we could realistically aim for 30 GNU hackers attending,
> versus about 20 last time.  We had 2 days, but the feedback was that a
> longer meeting would be good, maybe 3 or 4 days in addition to FSCONS.

Hmmm, it's gonna be long week for me then. But given that we have a year
to plan and prepare it certainly it is possible.

We have a discussion going on about finding dates for next year's
FSCONS. The discussion is public and can be found here:

   mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/fsfe-nordic/2008-November/thread.html

also, we've had some comments on moving FSCONS back to December (FSCONS
2007 was in December). Based on 'everything' we take a decision.

** Your input on dates for FSCONS and GHM is vital here **

/hesa