Re: [Ghm-discuss] GNU Hackers Meeting - offer to host next meeting in Go

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GNU Hackers Meeting - offer to host next meeting in Gothenburg, Sweden
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:25:11 +0100

Brian Gough wrote:
At Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:27:40 +0100,
Henrik Sandklef wrote:
I see a risk/chance of both increasing and decreasing the participants going for multiple meetings.

Given multiple meetings I believe:

* we will, all in all, have more GNU hackers coming together
* we will have less people at the various meetings
...  good and bad .... what a cliche

Yes, I think the first is probably more important.  Provided there are
say >10 people I think one could have a good meeting, regardless of
the total number.  Even with 20 people in Bristol I think I probably
didn't get to talk properly with half of them.

Good point

We haven't heard anything from Stepan so maybe the Brno option will
not work out.

I suggest trying to "hi jack" other events and do our meeting just before or after them as often as possible. FOSDEM, FSCONS, SFSCON .... are but examples. This would give hackers two reasons to come, the ghm and the conference. More value for the money ;)

One problem is the need for a local organiser, although that's not a
problem in your case.

I'll spend some minutes down in Brusselles (FOSDEM) this year probing for local contacts for a possible next year ghm close (time wise) to FOSDEM.