Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] flattr donations
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:45:39 +0000

I tend to agree with Neal.

I don't in principle object to donating, but I'd rather not do it through
flattr (although I have no better suggestion for online donations), and
I always ask questions before I donate to such causes.

For example:

* I really would like to know who or what is administrating the funds.

* what happens to the $50 I donate if the GHM has to be cancelled for
  whatever reason.

* What criteria are applied when assessing potential benefactors. In this
  case since the general public are being invited to donate, it would seem
  consistent to also ask them to apply for such travel grants.  I would
  expect to see a "click here to apply for a grant" button next to the
  "click here to donate button".

With regard to operating costs, perhaps there is also the intention to do this,
but a collection at the end of the meeting is probably the best way to do it.

J'