Re: [Ghm-discuss] A banner on www.gnu.org?

From: Nicolas Martin
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] A banner on www.gnu.org?
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 20:19:03 +0200

I like the VGA one too

NM

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Luca Saiu <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2013-07-08 at 12:22, Luca Saiu wrote:

>  |        GNU Hackers Meeting 2013         |
>  A      22-25 August -- Paris, France      A
> /^\   http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2013/paris   /^\
>
> To be written in a fixed-width "terminal" font, green over black.  A
> blinking cursor in the end would be the only concession to animation --
> and already a little distracting.

OK, I did it, on the train back home.  The one in the classic VGA font
is a little disappointing; I'd made the ASCII-art drawing on Emacs, with
the Monospace font.  The tower looks much worse with different fonts,
and Monospace isn't very believable as a text terminal font.  I prefer
the VGA version -- even if it's not really accurate: to really simulate
a text terminal we should find some font similar to what was used in the
DEC VT100, or the like.

http://ageinghacker.net/ghm-scratch/banner/banner-text-vga-green.gif
http://ageinghacker.net/ghm-scratch/banner/banner-text-monospace.gif

You find the Gimp XCF files on
http://ageinghacker.net/ghm-scratch/banner/ .

Feel free to make something better, along the same lines or not.  I
won't take it personally :-).

--
Luca Saiu
Home page:   http://ageinghacker.net