Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:54:32 +0200

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:40:41PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:

     I can sympathize with the rejection of institutionalized political
     correctness that (I think) Jos?????s message is about.  After all, the GHM
     audience is small and should be able to address problems through
     discussion, without resorting to a lawyer-jargon policy.

It is not so small.  If everyone who registered turns up we will have over 100
people.
I think this is a record for GHM.  There could be many reasons for such a great
response.
One possible reason, is that people decided to come after they saw we had this
"policy".

I didn't write the text, but I think it is targeted not at the core hackers,
who like
somebody said, know that we don't suffer from the problem to which it alludes.
Instead,
it is for the benefit of people who have never before attended, in case such a
problem is
endemic.   There have certainly been problems like it at some of the "open
source" conferences.

     Yet, as Neal very well explained, the free software movement should be
     about inclusion.  When someone talks in public, they should seek to be
     welcoming to everyone in the audience.  Inserting ???explicit sexual
     language or imagery??? or ???comments related to gender, sexual
orientation,
     disability??? etc. in a technical talk may amuse some, and exclude others.

I agree.  I didn't see that Jose said he intended to insert any of those things.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3