Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 21:25:47 +0200

For the first edition of a GHM in India, I would recommend polling existing GNU
maintainers and contributors to see which location would be the most convenient
for the majority of them to attend.

* Srikar Arepalli <address@hidden> [190625 06:44]:

> > > There are several aspects to organising GHM.
> > >
> > > 1.  You need to find an auditorium - it need not be fancy, but
> > > somewhere with
> > > an overhead projector and enough seats for everyone.   So this place
> > > whereever it is must be booked well in advance.
>
> We have a big auditorium capable of accommodating 500 participants, equipped
> with good projector and sound system. Are you aiming for more than 500
> participants? Along with it we have mini seminar halls and classrooms all
> equipped with projectors and speakers.

Woah woah, hold your horses. A GHM is usually a small and intimate event. You
should be looking at around 30-35 attendees. Small seminar halls / classrooms
would work just about fine for such an event.

> > > 2.  You need to make arrangements for somewhere for people to eat and
> > > sleep - either make sure that everyone can get a hotel that suits
> > > them,
> > > or (better) if it can be in the same establishment as the auditorium,
> > > then it's easier for all concerned.
>
> There are guest rooms for speakers inside the campus. But I need to check
> how many of them can be accommodated.

Remember, a GHM is not an event where you have a distinct separation between
speakers and attendees. Ideally, every attendee contributes to the event by
speaking about something or the other.

Not being able to accommodate all attendees would be okay as well. People can
always find their own accommodations as well. But it would be very helpful to
make arrangements for a group lunch / dinner for everybody.

> > > 3.  Having made those arrangements, you will need to announce GHM in
> > > sufficient time in advance.  Remember people will have to book
> > > flights etc.
> > > Promoting the event can be one of the most time consuming aspects!
> > > It's also important that you keep everyone updated after they have
> > > registered.
> > >
> > > 4.  You will need to keep a list of everyone who has registered, to
> > > attend,
> > > and (if applicable) paid their money.
>

> Student members of VGLUG can volunteer for the event and help you.

As John mentioned, a GHM is not a large event that will require too many
volunteers. Most attendees can take care of themselves. You don't need to spend
any extra money on banners / flyers or printed schedules. Although it is
important to have 1-2 people who take full responsibility of the event and are
living in the same region as where the event is taking place.

> > > 5.  In the past, we have offered financial assistance to people who
> > > cannot otherwise attend.    Applications must be considered,
> > > approved etc.
>
> It will help students, if not completely free, atleast giving them some
> discount might attract more students.

Ideally, a GHM involves very minimal costs that need to be recovered from the
attendees. A GNU Hackers' Meet is an event to foster community binds among
existing GNU maintainers and contributors. So, attracting people not already
involved within GNU is not an important criteria.

Of course, we would like to make it possible for more contributors to attend
irrespective of their financial situations. So such assistance should mostly go
towards making sure that they can attend the meet.

> > > 6.  You will need to organise the talks.  Who is talking about what,
> > > and
> > > for how long?
>
> VGLUG volunteers/Student volunteers can help you.
>
> Can I know theme of talks, will they be of help to undergraduate and
> graduate students?

There is no specific theme to the talks.

* It could be something to do with the social or philosophical aspects of GNU.
* A new project someone is hacking on that they want to share with the others.
* An update to an existing project that the contributor thinks deserves more
attention
* A call for action on some subject that is important to GNU.

It really could be anything. The talks however would not generally be geared
towards an arbitrary audience. Instead, they're made for consumption by
existing contributors to GNU software.

And oh, I'm not sure if John has mentioned this in his previous mail, but you
should also try to ensure that the talks are recorded and shared publicly at a
later date for others to watch.

--
Thanking You,
Darshit Shah