[glob2-devel] On smooth lines and quality settings.

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: [glob2-devel] On smooth lines and quality settings.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:42:03 -0500

I had mentioned before that the line smoothing kills my performance, and that
it is still smoothed even when 'Low Quality' is selected.  Before, I just
quickly changed a line or two in glSDL.c to disable them.  However, I decided
today to look into why it wasn't working right.

After a bit of experimenting, I noticed that while the lines are smoothed and
pretty in Low Quality mode, they are rough and jagged (but fast) in High
Quality mode!  I was getting better performance in High Quality mode than Low
Quality Mode!!

So, I did a bit of digging around in the code.  I modified two lines of code:

in SettingsScreen.cpp:
globalContainer->gfx->setQuality((globalContainer->settings.optionFlags &
GlobalContainer::OPTION_LOW_SPEED_GFX) != 0 ? GraphicContext::HIGH_QUALITY :
GraphicContext::LOW_QUALITY);

I changed to:
globalContainer->gfx->setQuality((globalContainer->settings.optionFlags &
GlobalContainer::OPTION_LOW_SPEED_GFX) != 0 ? GraphicContext::LOW_QUALITY :
GraphicContext::HIGH_QUALITY);

And, in GlobalContainer.cpp:
gfx->setQuality((settings.optionFlags & OPTION_LOW_SPEED_GFX) != 0 ?
GraphicContext::HIGH_QUALITY : GraphicContext::LOW_QUALITY);

I changed to:
gfx->setQuality((settings.optionFlags & OPTION_LOW_SPEED_GFX) != 0 ?
GraphicContext::LOW_QUALITY : GraphicContext::HIGH_QUALITY);

So, all I did was change around the 'LOW_QUALITY' and the 'HIGH_QUALITY'.

Something to note, is that while the smoothed lines turn the game into a slide
show on my Rage 128 based card, they have no noticeable effect on my
brother's Radeon 7500.

MWM