[glob2-devel] Glob2 has been removed from Wikipedia english, removal rea

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: [glob2-devel] Glob2 has been removed from Wikipedia english, removal reasons do not match Wikipedia's criterias
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:51:58 +0100

Hi everyone,

For your information, Glob2 has been deleted from Wikipedia english :
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=Globulation+2

There is two arguments for its deletion:
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Globulation_2
1) alpha software, 2) no evidence of notability

1) If only finished software had a place on Wikipedia, I would agree Glob2
should not be on it. But then few free software would be there. In
particular, most of the medium to small free software (for instance,
SuperTux, a super mario clone) should be deleted.
If there is a bias towards free software on Wikipedia, I do not see why our
software should not be in it, just because we are much more honest than the
rest about its real completion stage comparing to an ideal product.

2) In the case of Glob2, the lack of notability is a wrong statement, if we
follow the reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:SOFTWARE
which states that if the software is included in major distributions, it can
be considered notorious enough. Debian popularity contest:
http://popcon.debian.org/source/by_inst
states that glob2 is 2994 th on 12004 packages and ubuntu guide:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_install_real-time-strategy_game_.28globulation_2_alpha21.29
states Glob2 as the real-time-strategy game.

If Glob2's community or CC-ed wikipedian think it should be on Wikipedia (I
will not put it back myself as I'm one of the core game creator), please
engage talks to undelete it, but do not recreate the article, make sure you
follow Wikipedia's guidelines. In particular, please do not give individual's
homepages as references of notoriety.

Anyway, the Trackback page might be usefull:
http://globulation2.org/wiki/Trackback

Thanks, have a nice day,

Steph

--