Re: [Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr

From: Martin Fick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 13:52:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Derek Price <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay, I think we may be operating with slightly
> different assumptions about the way things are
> currently happening, so to start off:

Perhaps, I certainly have been making plenty
of assumptions! :)

> 2.  I had the understanding due to a comment in
> another thread that the only operations that were
> going across the AFR wire in the case of a
> rename was a remove and then a create.  If this
> assumption is wrong, somebody please correct me.

I don't know if this is correct, but on a
normal posix filesystem I believe that the
reverse would usually happen.  First the
new name would be linked to the inode
and then the old name would be unlinked?
I am indeed assuming that this is what
glusterfs is doing, but perhaps it is not?

> If, however, the only operations permitted on
> directory listings is to present a new list of
> the current files and directories (basically adds
> and removes), then your method breaks down because
> if a directory version changes then all children of
> that directory must be assumed to be changed.
> For example, in the second FS state shown below,
> there is no way to distinguish which of the three
> files has changed.  Given:
>
> /:2 a/:2 b/:2 c/:4 /A:1
>                    /B:1
>                    /C:1

Well, you do not appear to be using my
versioning scheme here, you are not using
the parent ids on creation.  The parent id
versioning scheme would look something
more like:

Starting with

 /a/b/c/A    /a/b/c/B    /a/b/c/C
 /:2         /:2         /:2
 a:2/2       a:2/2       a:2/2
 b:2/2/2     b:2/2/2     b:2/2/2
 c:2/2/2/4   c:2/2/2/5   c:2/2/2/6
 A:2/2/2/4/1 B:2/2/2/4/1 C:2/2/2/6/1

B and C would not be able to have the same
versions as A since c would get bumped
beteween each add (this is not important
in this example though, just mentioning it
to be consistent)

>       $ cd /a/b/c
>       $ rm C

 /a/b/c
 /:2
 a:2/2
 b:2/2/2
 c:2/2/2/7

>       $ echo new content >C

 /a/b/c
 /:2
 a:2/2
 b:2/2/2
 c:2/2/2/8
 C:2/2/2/8/1

If we now look at the three files, it is easy
to see which ones have been modified.

In the beginning above we had: