[Gm2] Re: 'make check-gm2' output from Mac/Intel

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] Re: 'make check-gm2' output from Mac/Intel
Date: 02 May 2008 19:46:03 +0100

Michael Lambert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Gaius,
>
> I've attached the gm2.log file.  Any thoughts on moving gm2 from being
> gcc 4.1.2 based to one of the later trains (perhaps 4.4 is the right
> target)?
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

thanks for the log file - will examine the failures.  As for moving
onto a later GCC release.  Yes I think it good to jump to the latest
stable release - probably late summer.  I'd like to push forward and
finish implementing the ISO Modula-2 language beforehand.  Although
almost certainly I'll migrate before finishing the ISO libraries.

Of the major implementation language feature left, I think there is:
exception handling, module initialisation/termination (FINISH TRY),
and type COMPLEX and multidimensional unbounded arrays to go (unless
I've missed something).  It maybe that exception handling might force
the upgrade.  The type COMPLEX is pretty trivial, multidimensional
arrays medium complexity and exception handling will require the most
time I suspect.  Another external factor for migrating might be if
debian stable moves to a later gcc release.