Re: [Gm2] First time user needs help

From: Chris Lilley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] First time user needs help
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 22:04:04 +0200

On Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 8:51:32 PM, Duke wrote:

DN> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> Like you, I recently took first steps with gm2 (not first with
>> modula-2) and like you, I assumed that gm2 foo.mod would work.

DN> hmmmm! 2 noobs on the list at once - could be interesting! :)

Modula-2 is the language I know best, but I last did any serious work in it two
decades ago, for an MSc in computer science. (I was using TopSpeed Modula-2,
which had a nice integrated development environment). I have also used Pascal,
TuroPascal, Fortran 77, some Basics and a tiny bit of Ada. And Z80 assembler
(now, there is a handy, transferable skill for the present day).

I'm getting back into it, using gm2.

>> However, at this stage, the gcc environment does not 'know' about
>> the modula-2 language in the same way that it knows about C, C++,
>> F77, Ada etc.

Speaking of which - and addressing the non-noobs of the list :) - I assume
there is some way to inform gcc of the known extensions, so that in future it
will know what to do with ,mod and ,def files?

DN> Are you using the Coronado tutorial as well? or R.J. Sutcliffe's book?
DN> Thanks for the input.

I was using what I remember, and the Coronado tutorial. I never learned the ISO
modules, that was before my time, so I want to get to know those.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG