Re: [Gm2] GNU Modula-2 version 1.0

From: Fischlin Andreas
Subject: Re: [Gm2] GNU Modula-2 version 1.0
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:30:18 +0000

Dear Gaius,

I see. Indeed, the gm2 home needs definitely a clear and obvious link to this
documentation offered at http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/gm2.html. Maybe there is
somewhere a "hidden" link  to this most useful documentation, but I couldn't
find it, a pity. The gm2 home definitely needs a conspicuous link to this. Ok,
I found it! I suggest to rewrite the page under documentation as follows:

The GNU Modula-2 <a href="gm2.html">Manual</a> (<a
href="http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/download/m2/gm2.pdf";>pdf</a>) contains a
fully indexed release map, downloading and building instructions, compiler and
language implementation description, and lists all definition modules from the
offered libraries.

However, what struck me also, is that http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/gm2.html seems
not to have a link back to the gm2 home at http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/. How
come? I guess this needs fixing too.

In addition I still believe to achieve some balance relative to other platforms
there is also a need for some reform at the gm2 home. The goal is enhanced
clarity. The current index is:

GNU Modula-2
Features<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-1.html#GNU%20Modula-2%20Features>
Licence<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-2.html#Licence>
Documentation<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-3.html#Documentation>
Regression tests for gm2-1.0.1 in the
CVS<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-4.html#Regression%20tests%20for%20gm2-1.0.1%20in%20the%20CVS>
Limitations<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-5.html#Limitations>
Building GNU
Modula-2<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-6.html#Building%20GNU%20Modula-2>
GM2 development download via
CVS<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-7.html#GM2%20development%20download%20via%20CVS>
GNU Modula-2 Debian
binaries<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-8.html#GNU%20Modula-2%20Debian%20binaries>
Creating a deb package for GNU
Modula-2<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-9.html#Creating%20a%20deb%20package%20for%20GNU%20Modula-2>
GM2 and GCC tarball
download<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-10.html#GM2%20and%20GCC%20tarball%20download>
Contributing code<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-11.html#Contributing%20code>
Objectives<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-12.html#Objectives>
FAQ<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-13.html#FAQ>
Papers and talks<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>

<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>Why not having a
page describing availability of gm2 by listing all platforms and then directing
from there to the various platform specific help pages and add clarity with a
structure similar to this:

<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-2.html#Licence><http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>Limitations<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-5.html#Limitations>
Licence
Documentation<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-3.html#Documentation>
<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-3.html#Documentation>Platforms and Availability
Downloading
<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-11.html#Contributing%20code><http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>Regression
 tests for gm2-1.0.1 in the
CVS<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-4.html#Regression%20tests%20for%20gm2-1.0.1%20in%20the%20CVS>
Contributing code
FAQ<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-13.html#FAQ>
Papers and talks<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>
<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-16.html#Papers%20and%20talks>
Other languages for
GCC<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-15.html#Other%20languages%20for%20GCC>

The current pages offered via links "GM2 development download via
CVS<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-7.html#GM2%20development%20download%20via%20CVS>",
 "GNU Modula-2 Debian
binaries<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-8.html#GNU%20Modula-2%20Debian%20binaries>",
 "Creating a deb package for GNU
Modula-2<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-9.html#Creating%20a%20deb%20package%20for%20GNU%20Modula-2>",
 and "GM2 and GCC tarball
download<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-10.html#GM2%20and%20GCC%20tarball%20download>"
 are too special to be offered at this top level and should only be offered
under the new page "Downloading". That page should be structured according to
the page "Platforms and Availability" (same sequence). It a first general
section I would offer links to "GM2 development download via
CVS<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-7.html#GM2%20development%20download%20via%20CVS>"
 and "GM2 and GCC tarball
download<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-10.html#GM2%20and%20GCC%20tarball%20download>"
 and then offer platform specific links under each supported platform. List the
platform even if no special page is available, since at least some reference
can be made to the relevant manual section, e.g. in case of Mac OS X. The
platform specific pages "GNU Modula-2 Debian
binaries<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-8.html#GNU%20Modula-2%20Debian%20binaries>"
 and "Creating a deb package for GNU
Modula-2<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-9.html#Creating%20a%20deb%20package%20for%20GNU%20Modula-2>"
 are only made available in the Debian specific section.

In general I find much of the language in the individual current web sites a
bit confusing. E.g.:

Building GNU
Modula-2<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-6.html#Building%20GNU%20Modula-2>

<http://www.nongnu.org/gm2/index-6.html#Building%20GNU%20Modula-2>Rather than
duplicate building instructions here, please see the Obtaining GNU Modula-2
section in the gm2 texinfo documentation which matches the CVS.

Why not

Rather than duplicate building instructions here, please see section "<a
href="gm2.html#SEC32">Obtaining GNU Modula-2</a>" in the <a href="gm2.html">gm2
manual</a>.

Hope having a bit contributed to the X-mas gift.

Regards,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
www.sysecol.ethz.ch<http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch>

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 221-4657 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!