Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] GM2 & R10
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:19:10 +0100

Gour <address@hidden> writes:

> Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hello Gaius,
>
>> yes this opens up an opportunity to write some Modula-2 bindings
>> for say:  wx, opengl - this would be huge help.
>
> I’m not giving up so easily, so did some further exploration of GM2 site
> where I could find some interesting information like your talk about
> creating Python modules by using Modula-2 and wonder how much is that
> material still relevant and/or what do you think about writing
> application’s back-end (aka ’business logic’) as libraries using
> Modula-2 and then write app’s GUI front-end code in e.g. Python
> (e.g. PyQt) which is well-supported?

Hi Gour,

the command line switches have changed a little - now gm2 uses libtool.
There are some examples in the gcc/gm2/examples/shared directory and a
pretty comprehensive example given in gcc/gm2/examples/pge.

> Does the above scenario represents ’best of both worlds’ by using
> type-safe language for the ’logic’ while taking advantage of rapid
> application development by glueing everything together with Python or,
> possibly, the above combination is ’the worst of the two’ elliminating
> type-safety of Modula-2 and not taking advantage of Python either?

Absolutely - I'm the the process of implementing pge using this
technique - and it works well.  swig is used to build the interface
bridge for (C++/m2) to Python and Modula-2 gives you the safely and
runtime checking etc.  Passing complex data structures bad and forth
needs a little thought but it can be done - passing fundamental data
types is close to trivial.  Also it might be worth checking
gcc/gm2/examples/swig