Re: [Gm2] ANNOUNCE: libsimpleio for GNU Modula-2 (preliminary)

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] ANNOUNCE: libsimpleio for GNU Modula-2 (preliminary)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 17:37:37 +0100

Philip Munts <address@hidden> writes:

> I have just published the first code drop of Linux Simple I/O Library
> support for GNU Modula-2.  This is preliminary code: It is incomplete
> and what is complete may be pretty rough.  I decided to let people
> look at it before I finish every last detail.
>
> It includes thin bindings for the following libraries:
>
> * libadc
> * libgpio
> * libhidraw
> * libipv4
> * liblinux
> * libpwm
> * libserial
> * libstream
> * libwatchdog
>
> There are also an assortment of support modules (e.g. for the Raspberry Pi)
> and a lot of test programs.
>
> Source code is available at:
>
> http://git.munts.com/libsimpleio
>
> Prebuilt packages for Debian stretch are available at:
>
> http://repo.munts.com/debian9
>
> I have been interested in "Wirthian" programming languages since I
> first encountered Pascal for the HP 3000 in ca. 1981.  During the late
> eighties/early nineties I paid real money for no less than three
> commercial Modula-2 compilers (and one Ada compiler) for MS-DOS.  I
> never did much with them as they were all inferior to Turbo Pascal.
> After that I got sucked into the Unix and C world.
>
> It has been interesting to play around with GNU Modula-2 after all
> these years.  Even though it lacks a lot of modern stuff like objects,
> I think it is still useful for systems programming.  I am hoping that
> the compiler for the Raspberry Pi together with the Linux Simple I/O
> Library bindings might reignite some interest in Modula-2.
>
> Phil

Hi Phil,

this is awesome - all very useful.  I'm about to start modifying gm2 to
allow third party libraries to be easily added and installed alongside
gm2.  I've been interested in using gm2 for embedded projects - so shall
look with renewed interest at the avr and Rpi.

Yes Modula-2 is simple enough to get substantive projects completed and
its type safe design is quite a joy and way ahead of its time.  The Art
of simplicity,