I found on the internet the site about objective modula-2. I can't access the site since it took too long for it to load on my computer. But I like the idea. Something like Objective C mix with GM2 so we will have Objective Modula-2.
I designed that. Objective Modula-2 is a superset on top of Modula-2. However, when it came to implementing a translator for it, I found that classic Modula-2 was hopelessly outdated. It started with the need to have available both a 7-bit ISO-646 (aka ASCII) character set and UNICODE support and at the same time. Yet PIM Modula-2 is ASCII only and the ISO standard assumes that you either have one, or the other, but never multiple character sets at once, which is totally unpractical and absolutely unacceptable.
So, I took a detour and teamed up with Rick Sutcliffe to first do a revision of the Modula-2 language before doing anything with the Objective Modula-2 superset. And considering that the language had not received any maintenance for such a long time, we soon found a lot of other things that were in need of revision.
In a nutshell, that is the reason why the website for Objective Modula-2 is no longer available. I'll get back to it when we have the compiler for M2 R10 working.
Another possible solution I think is we should follow the object models found on Delphi (Object Pascal) or Java. I don't like multiple inheritance of C++ so this is what I found suggest. Please let us know what is your opinion, Gaius. Thanks.
I would caution on this. Delphi, and in particular its object model is an egg laying wool milks sow, much like C++. Leaving aside whether this is even desirable, it is not something that a single developer can maintain.