Once more: -static linking

From: rudolf
Subject: Once more: -static linking
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:16:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Gaius,

quite some time ago (20 May 2023) I reported problems with static linking
for my 'big squash1 program' (which I sent to you back in April). But I did
not find out how to work around these problems until today.

I played a bit with command line parameters and found that if (additionally)
using '-fm2-whole-program' static linking is working!

As reported, for dynamic linking I use this command:

gm2 -fiso -fsoft-check-all squash1.mod Ctv2.o unix.o -o squash1 -lc -lcrypt -lm

which is working fine.

Then I added '-static' and  got the reported errors:

gm2 -fiso -fsoft-check-all squash1.mod Ctv2.o unix.o -o squash1 -lc -lcrypt -lm
-static

Now I use:

gm2 -fm2-whole-program -fiso -fsoft-check-all squash1.mod unix.o -o squash1 -lc
-lcrypt -lm -static

which in fact produces a static binary!

Note that Ctv2.o is missing from the command line. Otherwise I get
'multiple definition' of certain symbols.

My question now is: is this a 'valid workaround' for my problem or should
'-static' also work without '-fm2-whole-program'?

BR

Rudolf

--
Rudolf Schubert                 \