Re: [Gnash-dev] dblatex instead of fop?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] dblatex instead of fop?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:13:22 -0700

strk wrote:
I'm with you about dropping Java requirement.
PostGIS uses xsltproc and pdfxmltex to produce
html and pdf output from docbook input.

I tried pdfxmltex, and it can't handle the tables generated by xsltproc... Further checking shows these depend on passivetex, which has supposedly passed into the realm of unsupported software... I might be able to change the tables to work anyway, but so much for the quick try.

A 5 minute research showed that dblatex (http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/) could
be a replacement. Any thoughts?

This also doesn't work because of a problem converting the image, and a few other problems.

The old FOP is unfortunately the only thing that builds PDFs that actually works. The newer FOP is incompatible with the old one, so either way some changes to how Gnash builds PDFs will need to be made.

I agree I'd prefer to not use something that requires Sun Java, but it's also obvious the other tools aren't quite sufficient. :-( My gut feel is the newer GCJ build of FOP is probably the best supported.

As much as I'd love to fix this now, I'd rather finish where I'm at with the plugin before fixing building PDFs. You'll just have to stick with HTML and INFO formats for now. I keep the PDF version of manual on the web site up to date so people can grab it from there if they can't build it.