[Gnash-dev] sound system

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: [Gnash-dev] sound system
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:06:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

As you might re-call, not so long ago gstreamer was choosen to be the new sound
backend for gnash... But since then reality has caught up with us, and
gstreamer turned out to have a few issues... More specific it doesn't like when
you try to add a new soundclip to the adder/mixer, which is kindof a
fundamental feature requirement for a gnash sound system. This will probably be
fixed in the future, but until then, maybe we should look at a new sound
backend?

The thing we liked about gstreamer was that it was possible to drop in a
_legal_ mp3 decoding plugin (from fluendo), so distributions would probably
like it. And Gstreamer could also be left alone once the playback was started,
since it runs in it's own thread(s), and it could handle decoding and
outputting by itself.

But what sound system should we use if not gstreamer? SDL_mixer? something new?
I had a few issues with SDL_mixer when trying to make it support sound streams,
but maybe others will have better luck.

Any suggestion are welcome!

cheers,

Tomas