Re: [Gnash-dev] Everybody talks about, but nobody is doing anything abou

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Everybody talks about, but nobody is doing anything about it
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 03:08:36 +0200

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:37:38PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello Tomas,
>
> Thursday, July 27, 2006, 7:53:03 PM, you wrote:
> TG> So Gnash needs more backends,
>
> Our company finally decided that we put time resources in the
> development of a direct framebuffer backend (stand alone player only).
> Hannes Mayr is on this list too and together we'll try to reach this
> goal.

Good news !

> However, for any backend I still think it would be good to have a
> short intro regarding the general structure of a backend from someone
> of the maintainers.
>
> A flash movie consists of many layers and movieclips. Is there some
> counterpart in the backend? How are these cached, i.e. when one layer
> changes, how is it avoided that another complex layer at the same
> position (that did not change) is being redrawn? Or, simply put, how
> is a frame generated (i.e. how's the backend being used)?
> And so on...

I haven't closely looked at the code, but I'm afraid there's no such
optimization done internally.
We should probably completely rewrite the renderer model, starting from
defining a Renderer as a real class.
Having calls for drawing and transforming single characters seems a good
idea to me.

Does anyone feels like trying to define this class ?