Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: SWF streaming

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: SWF streaming
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:32:39 -0600

strk wrote:

> The current behaviour is that advance_root loads the next chunk
> of frames. But advance_root is only called at FPS rate, which is

  This is only because Gnash used to use a polling loop. Now it's event
driven.

> Implementing the continuos call in each Gui implementation might be
> not practical. How about implementing an *internal* function (in
> libgnashserver) intended to be called at as-fast-as-possible rate ?
> This would move the main loop out of libgui and inside  libserver ...

  I think we want to leave the main loop in libgui. What about firing up
a background thread to do some of the upfront processing ? Then as long
as the frame was loaded it could be displayed. With a thread doing this
you wouldn't have to follow the FPS rate. We can also add an additional
timer to fire off something on a faster rate, also decoupling this from
the frame display rate.