[Gnash-dev] effective streaming

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] effective streaming
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:09:21 +0200

I've committed the last bit for effective streaming
with the standalone player. The movie now starts
playing as soon as the initial SWF header is read.

To make this working with the plugin we have a couple
of options:

        - invoke the standalone gnash with the full
          url and let it rock.

        - send the stream to the player trough
          some IPC

I like the first one, but could not find a way to tell
the browser that we just DO NOT want it to take care
of the stream (so, yes, gnash can start immediately to
play, but the stream is downloaded twice).

The second one would be easy if we allow gnash to
read the stream from stdin (see task #5838)

 http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?5838

Thinking a bit more about future improvements, we shall
inspect better integration mechanism, for things like:
sending variables (both POST and GET methods), use the
cookies jar, use the stored http authentication tokens,
use the stored SSL certificates. All of this would be
transparently supported by the plugin interface, so easiest
way would be using a more complex IPC mechanism to provide
network requests and responses (including streams).

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
  X     Keep e-mail messages readable by any computer system.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.