[Gnash-dev] Boost

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Boost
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:43:37 -0600

I've been playing with Boost lately as I rewrite the prototype media
server I wrote. So far I've been using Boost threads, mutexes, and bind.
(how you pass data to a thread) Since the server is multi-threaded to
the max (single thread per stream) I had to make the debugging library
for Gnash thread safe, and also wrote a thread safe wrapper for the new
and delete operators. I like the mutexes that automatically get unlocked
when your function call goes out of scope. So at this point I like it
enough that I think using Boost will be useful, even though it adds one
more dependent library. Making Gnash thread safe would be a good thing.

Anyone that wants to build Gnash from CVS might want to install the
boost development package, since one of these days I'd like to check in
all these changes. I already checked in the minimal configure support
for Boost, although it needs testing on a variety of distributions.