[Gnash-dev] Re: Text quality (was: Questions about trapezoids, triangle

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Text quality (was: Questions about trapezoids, triangle stripper etc.)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:48:58 +0200

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 05:24:21PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> BTW, fonts are the reason why shape_definition::display() is split in
> two. When a glyph is rendered, there is no character instance.

It's worth adding a line of doxygen comment above the functions, for
future reference.

> When only embedded fonts are supported, then glyph outlines should
> always be available. Probably Gnash does not even require FreeType,
> then?

Outlines are available, and rendered. But it seems that iff
generate_font_bitmaps is called, every glyph would *also* have
a bitmap associated, and the latter is used, which is just nicer.

> As for the AGG backend, the rendering of small glyphs is not that bad
> I think. See the "glyph-test" at http://www.indunet.it/temp/gnash/

Really good!
Is it done using the shape or the bitmap ?

> For other renderers we still have to create bitmaps and I don't know
> how that's done at the moment.

This is what I'm also trying to understand.
There's also an attempt to cache identical bitmaps for different glyphs...
I'm tempted to trash everything and leave only the render-from-shape
part...

> Ok, I try to write a first version of a redesigned backend so that it
> may be committed to CVS. The tricky part is the backwards
> compatibility.

We're all with you :)