Re: [Gnash-dev] Anybody know why YouTube doesn't see gnash?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Anybody know why YouTube doesn't see gnash?
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:00:56 -0600

John Gilmore wrote:
> I have the last release - 0.7 -- installed and working as a plugin to
> Mozilla (as well as it ever worked).  When I go to YouTube, and enable

>   Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of
>   Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash
>   player.

  There were bugs fixed in the version sensing after the alpha release
of Gnash. According to various web tests, these days it thinks Gnash is
version 8.0.x. There seems to be a variety of Flash version sensing
JavaScript out there, so it's possible this will fail on some sites.

> As the code settles down for the new release, and with working sound
> support (and did I hear there's working video support for some codecs?),
> it would be great if YouTube videos started working in Gnash.

  Streaming video support from an external file will not be in the
upcoming release. There is still a pile of work to do, so this will be
in the following release I hope. Currently since there is no support for
decoding FLV, you can't play videos exported into the Flash movie
either. Working sound will hopefully be in the coming release, it's
about the only thing left on the release shortlist.

> (And then we could talk to YouTube about updating their messages so that
> they don't just point users to the proprietary player.)

  I'm trying to get Firefox/Mozilla to do the same thing... :-) I doubt
YouTube even knows Gnash exists... Playing videos from sources like
YouTube, Lulu.TV, etc... is something that Gnash needs to support, so
we're working towards that. But first we'll push out the next release so
people can take advantage of the last 6 months of improvements.