Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:41:44 -0700

strk wrote:

> AFAIK, it won't work unless you have an accelerated card, but
> I might be wrong (software OGL?)

  I guess it comes down to performance. Since I don't think Gnash really
takes much advantage of hardware acceleration anyway, we should
benchmark a complex movie to see if there is any difference between the
OpenGL and the AGG backends. This would include running top to see the
memory and CPU load differences. My gut feeling is that the frame rate
for most Flash movies is slower than the rendering speed, so I don't
think we'll see any real speed improvement with OpenGL over AGG. I run
without acceleration anyway, as I'm using the open source Nvidia driver.
We'd need to compare with the closed source Nvidia driver.

> Anyway, I confirm I'm for AGG being the default.

  One advantage of using AGG is we drop the dependency on GTKGLEXT and
libGL, and replace it with just AGG. Course if the version of AGG in the
distribution is 2.4 or older, then we're screwed... so maybe OpenGL is
safer till the newer release of AGG gets around.