Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] what is 'klash' ?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:02:29 +0100

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:49:04PM +0100, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> The optimal way would be to use AGG for standard gfx cards and OpenGL
> for for hardware accelerated ones. Since that can't (currently) be
> detected at runtime it's better IMHO to go the more universal way for
> reasons I already described.
>
> So, my opinion is to not decide the renderer in base of the individual
> speed but what will satisfy more people out of the box.

Agreed.

> However, as Rob already pointed out, the AGG version mess could be
> really a show stopper. So, if the compatibility layer approach really
> can't help here and there's no other solution I agree that AGG may be
> a problem and OpenGL might be better.

The "compatibility" layer was basically the copy of a function,
a "wider" copy can surely help, possibly including a full
AGG distribution (since it's GPL) as part of gnash and
allowing user to specify wheter they want the installed
one (default if found) or the one shipped with gnash
(default if not found).

> For all other reasons I'd use a
> solution that is not so much hardware dependant (much faster with hw,
> much slower without)...

Again, I agree.